Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cards and convalescents

Anonymous Deborah has asked for an update on the purse I made for my neighbor's daughter, the one I wasn't sure she would be allowed to have, lest purses were too "grown-up" for nine-year-old girls.

This is the card I received from the daughter:


At the same time, we received a card from the parents (click image to see bigger):


I got these shortly after returning home from Devon's visit to the doctor and after reading the head-swimmingly disturbing letter from Harper's school about head lice. I got rather choked up and told David, "I'm not used to being liked."

Devon, unfortunately, is still very ill. I had hoped that Monday would have been the end of the worst of it, but that was not to be. Though she is not dehydrated or having trouble breathing or exhibiting any other symptom that would send me scurrying back to the doctor, she feels awful and has no energy and is becoming sad and frustrated by feeling so lousy for so long. I'm grateful when she manages to fall asleep, which she does quite often:







But this is how she looks the rest of the time:


 I did fall ill myself yesterday, and felt like holy hell all day, but I'm doing much better today, so I have no right to complain. But I won't feel completely well until Devon is smiling and running around my sewing room yelling, "HARPER! DON'T TOUCH MY BUTT!"

16 comments:

Monica at Buttoncounter said...

her ''awake'' picture is how I look right this minute. Give the girl a big ol' cup o' Java and stand back!

Unknown said...

Oh poor baby! My son spent a week in hospital earlier this fall, and I know first hand how hard it is to see them feeling so poorly. Sending recuperative vibes to both of you!

Lisa said...

Oh, poor thing! It's a good thing she has all those quilts to chose from. (I noticed there weren't very many repeats.)

Glad to hear the neighbors are working out so well. It makes a huge difference to have friends so close.

Hope you feel better too!

Susan said...

Yea for the update! Thanks to "Anonymous Deborah" for asking. Impressive selection of handmade goods in each photo - quilts/pillows and bags! A little product placement, perhaps? :) Hope you and Devon feel better soon!

Paulette said...

Poor Devon. I had my 23-year-old daughter back at my house for 2 days last week with the flu. She looked much the same. Hope she's well soon. Those are such sweet notes from your neighbors!

Mary said...

I hope she feels better soon. It is not fun when your child is ill, or yourself for that matter. Take care of yourself too. Sending good thoughts.

Zazzu said...

Sleeping under comfy quilts is the best thing for Devon. Get that rest, little one. She'll be good as new before long.

Yay! that Megan got to use her spiffy new purse. Looks like you've won over her parents, too.

Take good care of yourself.

John'aLee said...

Oh it just breaks my heart to see your little one like that! It's one thing to not feel good when we age....but not in youth!
A big hug to the both of you.
PS...I can't count the times my three girls came home with head lice while being in school...and they all had hair down to their booties. On one occasion I just cut all of their hair off!

Wilma Lee said...

Hope she feels better soon. She looks pitiful.

Anonymous said...

Deborah says:

Thanks for the update on the purse.

And wasn't the thank-you note sweet!

I sincerely hope Devon feels better soon. You too!

Jan Quigley said...

Poor Devon, they go down quickly but luckily they usually pick up quickly too.
Sounds like you've been lucky with the neighbours.
Love your blog. :-)

Sarah Craig said...

Poor little thing! I hope she gets feeling better soon - but at least she's got all those pretty quilts to curl up under!

Teresa said...

Poor pumpkin. Being sick sucks. I hope she's better soon.
Oh, and you too! 'cause I like you too.

Dianne said...

I hope you are both fully recovered in no time flat!!!

Wendy said...

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry the sick bugs have found your household! It's bad when you are sick, but seems to be a million times worse when it's your baby and you can't kiss their owies away. Get well wishes being sent your way!

And I don't know where you live, but you are loved here in the bloggihood! Glad you're my neighbor :)

Unknown said...

What sweet thank you cards!