Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Not half bad. Not half good, either.

It is done.






Miraculously, every seam of every block came together nicely, so I didn't end up with some sort of wonky, ease-stitched monstrosity, as I had assumed I would. If I were to present this at, say, a quilt guild meeting, there would probably be mass fainting and my membership would be revoked, and I would henceforth be known as The Quilter Who Must Not Be Named — but to the untrained eye, it probably looks pretty fucking brilliant. Hell, I'm impressed, and I know how poorly it was actually put together.

My wonderful readers had lots of great advice for why everything was turning out so funky in my piecing. Unfortunately, I was already doing many of the things they suggested I try (except the freezer paper thing - which I'm going to try on another project). I think that the black fabric I used was pretty crappy and seemed to distort just by breathing on it. Yeah, that's it. It was the fabric. And the humidity. And aliens.

And as for yesterday's announcement, I decided to ping the managing editor over at Quilter's Home yesterday to say, "What's up? Are you printing the stuff I sent you?" And she wrote back to say that she was no longer working at the magazine but that she knew one piece had been accepted and slated for the October issue. Now I've emailed Mark and another editor to say, "What's up? Let's do some business." And of course, I've had no response. Sigh.

Now I need to get back to work on this quilt. I don't know why I abandoned it, and now it seems like a lot more fun than what I've been doing the last few weeks. Let's just hope the humidity lets up. And the aliens.

15 comments:

Vicki W said...

The quilt loosk perfectly fine to me!

floribunda said...

it only needs to look perfect to someone galloping by on horseback -- and I think it came out really well despite all your bitching!

Feedsack Fantasy said...

Very lovely quilt creation. TTFN ~Marydon

Carol R. said...

Congratulations on finishing the top! Looks great.

SewCalGal said...

I love this quilt. Fun design, very nice choice of fabrics, and colors are delightful.

I think you did an excellent job. Thanks for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.SewCalGal.blogspot.com

Mam said...

Not bad, not bad at all.

Sheila said...

It really looks wonderful! I love the subtleness between the two white pieces. You have a great eye.

whitey said...

Isn't life great when something finally comes together!

Betsy said...

Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

hooray! congrats...
it's really beautiful!

bad fabric really does distort after being cut. and being sewn ...and being pressed. It sucks.

Andrea said...

Thank you! I am a 30-something ex-professional, stay-at-home mom who started quilting after I had my first kid. I love your blog! I sometimes feel like a lone ranger. I am the youngest in my quilt guild, and I feel like I have to constantly temper my attitude/opinions, so I am so glad that your blog exists! Every time I've read it, I have laughed out loud. Keep it up!

Linda said...

Tis beautiful! Nobody will ever see the back of it anyway! I really like the looks of this quilt. Lurking Linda

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You do have to remember than done is good!! And from your picture I think it looks great! And since it is yours- it really only matters if you like it.

KateKwiltz said...

Hey, this looks pretty good!

shellysquilts said...

I hate to tell you this, but the only way I know of to improve your quiltmaking skills, is to make quilts. Each one better that the last. Besides that you can always quilt the lumps flat (theoretically anyway.)