Wednesday, September 17, 2008

If only they'd consulted me.

Now, I don't know about you. Maybe you like this sort of thing. Maybe it's perfectly normal, and everybody does it, and I should just take my provincial attitudes back where I came from - but I just don't think the instructions for a pattern should be so vague that you have to go to the website to get the detailed version. And it says right on the pattern "go to the website for tips," and when you go there, and you click on "tips," there's only one tip - and it's for the part of the pattern that makes no fucking sense!

Let me elaborate. Here are the aforementioned instructions for how to attach the handle to the bag:



"Carefully turn strap at corner"??? What the hell? However you try to turn it, you end up with a flap of material you don't know what to do with. So, then I consult the website, and it turns out you have to make this crazy cut UNDER THE PRESSER FOOT. The cut allows you to turn the fabric at the corner of the bag and - guess what! The strip of material that you are sewing to make the straps is also the sides and bottom of the bag! That extra material turns out to be the corner! Would have been nice to mention that somewhere; maybe I'd have had a fighting chance at UNDERSTANDING YOUR FREAKING DIRECTIONS.

1 comment:

Linda said...

You are doing better than me! I have issues even with patterns that say "sewing for dummies" :)
Good luck!!
Linda